System Rescue Cd Homepage
Description: SystemRescueCd is a Linux system rescue disk available as a
bootable CD-ROM or USB stick for
administrating or repairing your system and data after a crash. It aims to
provide an easy way to carry out admin tasks on your computer, such as creating
and editing the hard disk partitions. It comes with a lot of
Linux system utilities such as GParted, fsarchiver, filesystem
tools and basic tools (editors, midnight commander, network tools). It can be
used for both Linux and
computers, and on desktops as well as servers. This rescue system requires no
installation as it can be booted from a CD/DVD drive or
USB stick, but it can be
installed on the hard disk
if you wish. The kernel supports all important file systems (ext3/ext4, xfs,
btrfs, reiserfs, jfs, vfat, ntfs), as well as network filesystems such as
Samba and NFS.
System and Networking Guides
In addition to the Quick Start Guide
and SystemRescueCd documentation here are other guides:
- Disk Partitioning:
How Grub boots,
How to repair Grub
- LVM Volume-Manager:
How it works,
Rootfs on LVM,
Snapshots and Backups
- Networking on Linux:
This project comes with good documentation. Here are the most important pages:
For the impatient:
- Quick start guide: please read this if this is the
first time you are using this system recovery cd.
Chapters about basic usage:
Chapters about advanced usage:
- GNU Parted: creates, resizes, moves, copies partitions, and filesystems (and more).
- GParted: GUI implementation using the GNU Parted library.
- FSArchiver: flexible archiver that can be used as both system and data recovery software
- Partimage: popular opensource disk image software which works at the disk block level
- ddrescue : Attempts to make a copy of a partition or floppy/Hard Disk/CD/DVD that has hardware errors, optionally filling corresponding bad spots in input with user defined pattern in the copy.
- File systems tools (for Linux and Windows filesystems): format, resize, and debug an existing partition of a hard disk
- Ntfs3g: enables read/write access to MS Windows NTFS partitions.
- sfdisk saves and restores partition tables.
- Test-disk : tool to check and undelete partition, supports reiserfs, ntfs, fat32, ext3/ext4 and many others
- Memtest: to test the memory of your computer (first thing to test when you have a crash or unexpected problems)
- Rsync: very-efficient and reliable program that can be used for remote backups.
- Network tools (Samba, NFS, ping, nslookup, …): to backup your data across the network
Browse the short system tools page for more details about the most important software included.
Browse the detailed package list for a full list of the packages.
It is possible to make customized versions of the system.
For example, you can add your own scripts, make an automatic restoration of the
system. It is also possible to burn a customized DVD, with
SystemRescueCd and 4GB for your data (backup for example). Read the manual for
You can use SystemRescueCd to backup data from an unbootable Windows computer, if you
want to backup the data stored on a Windows computer that cannot boot any more.
It is very easy to install SystemRescueCd on a USB stick. That is very useful in case you
cannot boot from the CD drive. You just have to copy several files to the stick
and run syslinux. The install process can be done from Linux or Windows. Follow
instructions from the manual for more details.
More information about this project
SystemRescueCd sources can be found on GitLab
and these are licensed under the GPL-2